Viva Italia! Bring home the flavors of Italy with sun-dried tomato walnut pesto. Made with sun-dried tomatoes, toasted walnuts, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, lemon, and Parmesan.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 ½ cups sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat. When they are fragrant and slightly browned (about 5 minutes), remove them from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Use only half the Balsamic vinegar and agave syrup at first. You can taste and adjust ingredients later.
- Process for about 30 seconds or until blended and very finely chopped.
- Add the olive oil, then process for 30 more seconds. Add more olive oil if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Taste the pesto, and adjust ingredients as desired. You may need to add more Balsamic vinegar, agave syrup or tomatoes.
- Serve as a dip with crackers, or as a topping for bread, pasta, grilled chicken or vegetables.
Based on a recipe by Emeril Legasse.